What’s the best thing ever to have in the winter? Hot chocolate. What is even better? Peppermint hot chocolate. And how can you make that even better? If it was just a tad bit boozy.
Thanks to the leftovers in my cabinet from the beautiful lady I am subletting my apartment from, I found myself with all the ingredients to create some delicious spirited hot cocoa. Not so surprising, it’s super easy but SO delicious.
This is the perfect amount of boozy goodness to warm you up, but not make you afraid of walking a straight line from couch back your kitchen to get more. Though, you could always help it get to that level with just a splash of vodka. I recommend vanilla-flavors.
I made mine originally with almond milk, and it was tasty; very rich. I later tried it with regular milk, and it was equally as good. I think pretty much any milk substitute will work for this. Probably any sugar substitute as well, I just happen to like raw sugar more. (I know, I hate me too.)
Homemade (Spirited!) Peppermint Hot Cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups Milk, or milk substitute of your choice
- 2 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 cup Raw Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 shot Peppermint Schnapps
- In a small pot, slowly heat milk. Add cocoa and sugar, stir until combined, then add vanilla extract and Schnapps. Add to giant, winter-themed mug and add a candy cane for garnish!
- Makes 1 large mug of delicious, minty (and slightly tingly!) hot chocolate!