So you may have made some bad decisions over the weekend. There may have been a day full of several different kinds of alcohol, and only eating bar food for 48 hours with very minimal water intake.
Or you may have just totally gone off the beaten path of your normal schedule, slept in a weird place, worn heavier make-up than normal, eaten some weird things, and now your body is so confused and everything is painful and gross feeling.
Whatever, I’m not here to judge.
Regardless, it’s now Monday morning and your face is broken out, your body feels as if you betrayed it, and you can’t shake the hangover (metaphorically and literally, depending on if the first portion was true for you or not).
Boy, aren’t you lucky you clicked here? Because have I got some tips and tricks to get your body back in normal shape. It’ll be like that weekend of sleeping on couches never even happened.
1. Return to your normal schedule immediately. Do not sleep in super late on Monday, as much as you want to. You’re going to be tired all day no matter what, so you may as well make sure you go to bed at the correct time on Monday night so that this horrible hazy feeling doesn’t continue any later into the week because you’re wide awake after sleeping in until 12pm.
2. Drink Water. Chug-a-lug, baby. If you’re like me, your skin goes absolutely haywire when you do anything even remotely out of the ordinary. Restore those dehydrated cells to help your face get back your normal glow (and to speed the process of healing those new zits
I definitely you may have). Staying hydrated will also (obviously) help with a hangover.
3. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Your face, your hair, your skin. Thank me later.
4. Eat salt. Eating weird things all weekend, or drinking a lot will send your regular body chemistry super wonky, which is why you feel so horrible. Though I said return to your normal schedule, which includes normal healthy eating patterns– eating salty things can help with a hangover by restoring normal sodium levels.
Protip: If you don’t have sodium, your body won’t want to absorb water. So despite all we hear about low-salt diets, we do need a certain amount to remain healthy. Especially if you are hungover, having something a little salty can help. There is a reason why people recommend Pickle Juice as a hangover cure.
5. Gatorade, coconut water, fruit juice, and ginger tea can sooth your symptoms. Stomach churning from eating out so many times during the weekend? Ginger is said to cure stomach ailments. Gatorade and coconut water also contain electrolytes to help restore the balance in your system– coconut water has more, so it’s the better option. And fruit juice contains fructose, which can help with energy levels, and the restore healthy liver function if your weekend included too much booze.
1. Eat greasy foods. Repeat: return to normal life. Your body feels this way because you fed it cheeseburgers and beer all weekend, so why would continuing that make you feel any better? Understandably, a salad may not be your best craving at the moment, but go for healthier options. Grilled chicken and sweet potatoes, hot vegetable soup, a BLT on whole grain bread, etc, etc. Besides, having a ton of fatty grease when you’re stomach is already iffy is bound to lead to some bathroom problems, if ya know what I’m saying.
2. Have a ton of acidic foods. Especially if you spent the weekend (or evening) drinking, avoid high acidity things, like tomatoes, citrus, coffee, etc. Your stomach is already sensitive, and those things will hurt it more. Trust me, I know from experience that inflammation of the stomach is stupid painful and should be avoided at all cost.
Protip #2: Coffee seems like the best thing in the world when hungover, but don’t reach for it immediately. Coffee is a diuretic, which will dehydrate you more, and it is also a vasoconstrictor, which will cause your blood vessels to constrict and make getting blood flow to places (like your pounding brain) even harder. It will only serve to amplify your headache, so stick with the water or coconut water for best results. And add a cup of fruit juice for a boost of energy.
3. Pile on the acne cream. Your face is freaking out because of the weird places it went and the weird things you put in your body, so don’t add more weird into the mix. Return to your normal skincare routine and let the inflammation sort itself out. Careful about applying too much make-up too. Don’t irritate anymore than you already have.
And there you have it. I am taking some of my own advice today, (and yesterday), to get my life back to normal after this weekend. Now I’m off to look longingly at my coffee pot while I drink a glass of tea instead.
The sacrifices we make for having a good weekend, huh?